Today is

» FanFics

Graduation


"Hello Class of 2002. Most of you probably know who I am. I was called to speak here to tell you what the future would be like or what to expect. But I can't really do that, you see. Because I'm not you…"

Norma looked up at him. She still couldn't believe that they had taken her suggestion to heart and had requested that he speak at her graduation. It was like a dream come true for her to have him speak. She listened intently as his speech continued hanging on to each and every word that came out of his mouth.

"I can't tell you what you can look forward to or what you can grimace over because that's your decision. The future is yours. So what can I tell you? Well, for starters, I'm Landon Donovan."

Yeah. Hi Landon Donovan. I'm Norma Perez. She knew that he didn't know her name but she pretended that he did anyway. Every word he spoke seemed to be directed to her. She heard his voice tell her what he knew. But she knew all of that… she was such a huge fan. She knew all about Landon from his childhood days down to his favorite brand of socks. But what did he know about her? Absolutely nothing.

"Life contains bumps. I'm sure most of you have already heard that or something remotely similar. I heard that so many times in my childhood, or what I had of it. It's more truth than you actually know. Now, I know that many of you will never lead the life that I lead now, but I think that this applies to you too. It's not easy out there. You've all for the most part led a secluded life. You haven't necessarily seen the world yet. Just bits and pieces because you've always had something to fall back on. In a few hours, you'll be leaving this place, and from then on, there's very little to fall back on. You have to be on your own two feet. You have to know who you are…"

Who am I? I'm a fan of soccer. I adore Landon Donovan. I'm on the verge of leaving the only life I've ever known. This is my last chance to find out who I am before I'm thrust out into the open world. She sat in deep thought, half-listening to his words but half listening to her own notions within her mind. She was worried. Can I make it out there? What if I'm not meant to be out there? Am I ready? I don't have anything to fall back on. Landon is right. What's going to become of me…? She sat up, shaking her head. What am I worrying about? This is my graduation. I'm supposed to be happy. How about I just listen to Landon Donovan. The most beautiful man in the world. He's speaking to me. I should listen.

"So, you're going to go out there and you're going to get on your own two feet. You're going to become that person you've always dreamed of becoming. I can't tell you exactly how it's going to be out there. I'm not you. You decide your own fate. Take matters into your own hands because no one else will do it for you. Not your friends, not your family, not me. You're you and be proud of it. I'm already proud of all of you, but that wouldn't matter if I wasn't who I was today…"

He's right. I am me. And I'm proud that I am who I am. It may not be much to other people. Landon may never know who I am but as long as I know who I am, it makes all the difference. She smiled to herself.

"Yes. I'm Landon Donovan." He looked over at Norma and smiled back at her, thinking she was smiling at him. "I may not be able to tell you who you are… that's up to you. The world is in your hands. Do what you've always dreamt of doing."

Norma smiled happily, this time, for Landon. Thank you, Landon Donovan. I know who you are. I'm Norma. You may never know my name, but you've taught me something more valuable than knowing my name. For that, I owe you everything.

"Class of 2002, I'm proud of each and every one of you. You've worked hard to get where you are today. Be proud of yourselves, go out there, and discover."

[Feedback] . [Back to FanFic Index]